Thursday, July 26, 2012

NICON Fraud: Court reserves October 17 for addresses adoption


An Abuja High Court on Thursday reserved October 17 for the adoption of addresses on alleged N10.4 million fraud leveled against two former officials of the National Insurance Corporation of Nigeria (NICON).


The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) had in 2007 charged Okechukwu Chukwulozie, Angela Chukwulozie, a wife of the first accused and Adedolapo Ogungbe with the crime.

Justice Mudashiru Oniyangi gave the date after the third accused person (Ogunde) had presented her defence.

Ogunde, a former Deputy Commissioner in charge of Finance and Administration, had said that the N3.5 million she received from the organisation was her legitimate entitlement.

The ICPC had filed a three-count charge of corrupt advantage against Ogunde.

The prosecution alleged that the third accused used her position to illegally withdraw the amount to furnish her apartment located in Maitama.

Ogunde, however, said the money was her statutory in lieu of 28 days allowance meant for her position upon assumption of office in 2005.

"I used the money to make the place livable as I bought curtains, four air-conditioners, micro wave, refrigerator, beddings and a set of upholstery.

"My Lord I have done no wrong as the money was officially meant for me and two other executive commissioners.

"In fact Mr Badugu Useni, a Commissioner in charge of operations, was paid before me.

"My allowance was unnecessarily delayed and I became aggressive in November 2005.

"I was advised to suggest a name that the money could be remitted to and I used Mrs Aina Attahiru, my friend and the Managing Director of Barn Root Homes Creation.

"My Lord it would also interest the Court to know that I and the first accused were not paid the monetisation allowance that formed part of the prosecution’s evidence,’’ she said.

Ogunde is facing a three-count charge while the first accused (Chukwulozie) is charged with eight of the 15 charges.

The second accused and wife to the third accused is charged for allegedly aiding and abetting the crime.

The accused persons denied participating in any complexities that led to the alleged fraud.

ICPC had alleged that the actions of the accused persons were offences which contravened Sections 12 and 19 of its Act.
Information: Ascology

No comments:

Post a Comment